Government of Telangana would create Special Food Processing Zones across the state to provide infrastructure for development of large food processing clusters. The salient features of the Special Food Processing Zones may be as follows:
- Special Food Processing Zones shall be developed based on the additional agriculture and allied sector production expected due to increased irrigation potential of various districts.
- Each Special Food Processing Zone may be designed to accommodate food processing units and associated infrastructure in accordance to the regulated cropping pattern designated for the region.
- Each Special Food Processing Zone may be developed with a minimum area of 200 acres and may extend upto 1,000 acres based on the requirements and availability of suitable lands.
- 30% area in each Special Food Processing Zone may be dedicated for Logistics, Warehousing, Cold storages, export oriented and agriculture marketing infrastructure. Development of such infrastructure may be done in a public private partnership mode.
- Plug and play sheds may be developed in each Special Food Processing Zones to accommodate enterprises from local entrepreneurs, SHGs, farmer groups, SHGs, SCs, STs and minorities. Upto 20% of total allottable area in each SFPZ may be developed under such sheds and may be made available for lease.
- Appropriate pollution control measures may be implemented in all SFPZs including creation of a buffer zone and facilities for management of solid waste, liquid discharge and odour management.
- Apart from food processing enterprises, the SFPZs may allocate area to establish ancillary industries such as packaging and related industries such as agro-processing and by product processing
- Dedicated SFPZs may be created for integrated production and processing of dairy, poultry, meat and Such zones may also allot lands, not exceeding 60% of the total area, for scientific and high intensity production activities in these sectors