Food Production Landscape
- Food processing has been identified as one of the 14 thrust sectors for the state in the industrial policy framework of 2014. Currently, Food processing industry in Telangana processes ~25% agri & allied output by value and adds 12.5% in value.
- Telangana is blessed with a rich agri food raw material base. Based on production data for 2014-15, Telangana is ranked first across the country for production of turmeric and sweet orange.
- Further, Telangana is a well-accepted leader in poultry and seed business. Moreover, there is huge potential to promote inland fisheries, organized meat processing, greenhouse and exotic vegetable cultivation in the state.
- To add value to agro-products and to maintain and expand the existing strengths as well as to partner with the national Food Processing Mission, there is a need to encourage this sector. To take this further, there are numerous subsidies, policies and schemes that the state has introduced to support the sector.
- As of today, there are 4 major food park projects worth~ 492 Cr, 7 integrated cold chain projects worth ~208 Cr, 20 NMFP projects worth ~108 Cr in the state.